Breakfast Grit Bowls
You can use a variety of food combinations for these breakfast bowls! They can change based on the seasons!
- 2 cups spinach or other seasonal greens
- 1 medium roasted sweet potato
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 package No Evil Foods chorizo (Zapatisa)
1. Make sweet potatoes according to directions here http://healthconceptsnutrition.com/blog/2015/02/great-beginnings-getting-back-to-your-roots/
2. To make grits: let 2 1/4 cups water to boil and take 1/2 cup grits and turn down heat below and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of your choice of fat whether it be olive oil or Earth Balance tub margarine.
3. You will have to stir often to prevent grits from sticking and scorching. You may need additional water.These grits will finish cooking in about 30-40 minutes depending on if they are fine or coarse ground. You can take a taste to see if they are done. They can also be cooked ahead of time and reheated to make your bowls quick.
4. Crumble or chopped chorizo in a small amount of oil in a skillet and cook until crispy and crunchy. Drain if necessary on a paper towel. The chorizo is spicy so if you need a mild version, try their Italian “sausage”.
5. Layer the grits, sweet potatoes, spinach and top with chorizo! Hope that you will love these as much as I do! I have some other great combos for breakfast bowls that I will share soon!
6. You can top with cheese if desired. Otherwise this recipe is vegan.
Makes 4 servings!