Grandma Ida’s Famous Vegetable Soup
I adapted my great grandmother Ida’s recipe to make it vegetarian.
- 46 ounce tomato juice or tomato and vegetable mixture
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1 ½ cup sliced carrots
- 16 ounce frozen mixed vegetables
- 3-4 potatoes, cut into ¾-1 inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-2 large bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounce can tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ head cabbage-cut into wedges and chunks
- In a large stock pot saute onions, potatoes and carrots until softened.
- Add 2 ¼ cup water for and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables, ¼ teaspoon salt, 15 ounce tomato sauce and pepper.
- Simmer 30 minutes longer.