Tempeh Breakfast Sandwich
The tempeh can be cooked ahead of time and added in the morning. this sandwich also makes a great vegetarian lunch! Be brave try some tempeh and let me know your experience with my tempeh bacon recipe!
- 1/8 cup maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke or smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mix maple syrup or brown sugar, liquid smoke or smoked paprika, vinegar, garlic powder, and pepper in a 9 inch pyrex pie plate.
- Take the block of tempeh and cut it into strips that are about 1/4 inch thick and marinate it for about 30 minutes. Turn it over once. Heat skillet and add the olive oil.
- Add tempeh (keeping remaining tempeh in plate) and cook about 2-3 minutes and turn over.
- Cook a little more. I like to add the rest of the marinade and cook this flavor into tempeh.
- When browned on both sides, take out of skillet. Makes enough for 3-4 sandwiches.
- To assemble sandwiches: put on toasted bread, add lettuce or other salad greens, tomato and mayonnaise and mustard.