Southwestern Pumpkin Soup
This recipe can be made from winter squash in addition to pumpkin. Most recipes using the fall jewels are often a little on the sweet side but this soup is savory and spicy! Makes 6-7 serving.
- 4 cups roasted pumpkin
- 4 1/2-5 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 3-4 tablespoon lime juice
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Toppings: toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro, Greek yogurt
- Peel and toss pumpkin in small amount of olive oil and roast on cookie sheet at 425 degrees until it is soft and begins to caramelize.
- Allow pumpkin to cool and blend it into a puree.
- In a large stock pot saute onions until they begin to soften. Chop poblano peppers and add them to the pot. Add chile powder, cumin and garlic. Add broth and pureed pumpkin/squash.
- Allow soup to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve soup in bowls and add toppings.